2011-07-12

The English influence on the Polish cuisine -English luncheon meat



As a child I thought how good English cuisine was . Somebody might be very surprised now. I know but you need to know that when I was 5 years old there was martial law in Poland. Groceries were completely empty. My grandfather sometimes brought English biscuits and a can of English luncheon meat. I loved English luncheon meat. I was sometimes angry when my granddad didn’t bring a can of English luncheon meat. I was a child then and the adjective “English” means “luxury” for me.
That year at Christmas we got a food parcel from our family. They live abroad. Among rice, sugar, cans of meat and sweets I found English tea. The box of tea became the best Christmas gift for me. I was very young and I don’t remember the political situation in Poland but I remember empty shops and long queues for food and “English delicious”. 

 
During my whole childhood I thought that England had the best food in the world. Until I discovered that English luncheon meat is made ​​in Poland. However, I still like it but after this discovery my love to England got weaker.
There was no love lost between me and English cuisine when I met true Englishmen. When I was in high school, my town was visited by cultural delegations from England. My parents hosted two women of this delegation. One day they prepared a real English dinner for my family. That was the worst meal I have ever tried.
Two years ago I was in Great Britain and I tried English food, but it did not convince me. I still think that English cuisine isn’t good. I am wondering why one Polish company named grocery products English. I was looking for the influence of English cuisine on Polish cuisine, but I didn’t find it. In the past Great Britain was far away from Poland. Before the twentieth century Poland didn’t have any political or economical influence from England. In the twentieth century Great Britain was a place to which political emigrants from Poland moved. Maybe the adjective English in the names of food as an expression of opposition to the authorities and a symbol of freedom? 

I don’t know, but English luncheon meat means freedom for me. I had cans of this food in my backpack during multi-day trekking travels. I can eat it hot and cold, with bread and alone. It is always very tasty. Now when I sometimes miss Polish sausage and ham, I eat English luncheon meat and all my childhood comes back to me.

This is last post about   influence on Polish cuisine. I plan two new series about Irish and also Polish regional cuisine.

Influence on Polish cuisine  - Japanese herring - śledź po japońsku

Influence on Polish cuisnie -  Knuckle of pork in Bavaria - Golonka po Bawarsku 

Influence on Polish cuisnie -  Beef Strogonow

The Hungarian influence on the Polish cuisine - Leczo

The Czech influence on the Polish cuisine -Bohemian dumplings

The Jews influence on the Polish cuisine - Szlajmzupe

The Turkish influence on the Polish cuisine - Coffee

The Lithuanian influence on the Polish cuisine - Bigos

The Austrian influence on the Polish cuisine - Vienna Schnitzel

The Greek influence on the Polish cuisine - Greek Salad 

The Ukrainian influence on the Polish cuisine - Ukrainian borscht

The Tatar influence on the Polish cuisine - Tatar sauce

The Italian influence on the Polish cuisine - Faworki

The influence of French cuisine on Polish cuisine -"Mizeria"


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...